Saturday, May 27, 2006

One Trillion Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers

I want to turn my attention away from South Carolina politics for a moment to discuss a bit of the national debacle. As of a few minutes ago our national debt was sitting at just over 8 trillion dollars. A little more than half of that debt is said to be held by the public and the rest lies in intergovernmental holdings. Each American family's share of the debt, according to the National Debt Clock website, is about $131,000 (much more than the average family can make in a year).

But what I'm really concerned with is what exactly is 8 trillion dollars? Is it even possible for the human mind to grasp such a figure and really understand what it means? I don't think so, but in an effort to make the debt a little more concrete, I've thought of a few comparisons:

$27,000 per person in the U.S. alone (a bit less than what the average U.S. family makes in a year)

Things you could buy with $8 trillion:
9 machine guns for everyone under the age of 18 in the U.S.
28,000 sexy dresses (priced at $56) for every woman in Afghanistan
534,000 private islands in Fiji (based on what Mel Gibson paid for his)
5,000 world peace flags for every member of the NRA
1 junior bacon cheeseburger a day for every impoverished American for the next 591 years

1 comment:

The Blue South said...

I can't belive none of you read this one!!! It's my favorite post to date and...nothing. You all disappoint me so. Why is it that I can barely mention a very nuanced reference to religion and you all go ballistic but nobody cares about poverty? Guess what bible thumpers...JESUS DID!