Thursday, May 15, 2008

Everybody's Got a Crazy In Their Corner

McCain supporter John Hagee has officially apologized to Catholics for "any comments that Catholics have found hurtful." Source.

Couple of Things:

(1) What a lame apology. If Hagee were apologizing to his wife for "any comments she might have found hurtful," he would still be sleeping on the couch. A true apology takes responsibility for one's words or actions, Hagee's shifts the blame to oversensitive Catholics.

(2) Catholics? Really? When did bigots start hating Catholics again? I really thought that was behind us.

(3) Here's the money quote from Hagee, exposing him for the true idiot that he is:
In my zeal to oppose anti-Semitism and bigotry in all its ugly forms, I have often emphasized the darkest chapters in the history of Catholics and Protestant relations with the Jews," Hagee wrote. "In the process, I may have contributed to the mistaken impression that the anti-Jewish violence of the Crusades and the Inquisition defines the Catholic Church. It most certainly does not.


(4) Hillary Clinton, if she is going to maintain any slim chance at garnering the nomination, is apparently going to have to gain the support of at least one crazy religious zealot. Given her disadvantage in virtually every category of electoral results, I suggest she go deep for her pick. I suggest Warren Jeffs. Now I know what you're thinking: Jeffs doesn't really say too many crazy things in public. But if Hillary really wants to make a splash, the leader of a polygamist cult who is currently serving time for aiding and abetting statutory rape is the guy for her. Nothing says "I've got a crazy minister in my corner too" like the potential first female president accepting the endorsement (maybe even marriage? I'm just saying...) of a guy who performs wedding ceremonies for 14-year olds.

No comments: